Between the never-ending heat wave (really, heat AND humidity wave) and being 8 months pregnant, staying hydrated is a feat these days. I constantly have a drink in hand, and while water is great and all, I like to change it up throughout the day with something a bit more interesting. I have been making this sublimely refreshing drink daily. There is something about a pink, frosty drink that always brightens the mood, don’t you think?
This one combines fresh watermelon, frozen strawberries, raw honey, coconut water, lime and a pinch of salt. That’s it! Oh, and ice cubes, if you want it even more frosty. The combination is not only delicious, but also incredibly hydrating — a tastier version of an electrolyte drink. There is something about pairing watermelon and strawberry that makes this drink taste more…well, watermelon-y. Think watermelon flavored candy, without all of the nasty additives.
I highly recommend blending up a batch and soaking in these final golden (and sweltering) days of summer. I will be doing the same, except also frantically preparing for baby boy’s arrival in a few weeks (how!!??). I’m trying to remind myself that all he really needs is our love, my boobs, a place to sleep and some diapers, but it’s hard to restrain the over-planner in me. Being in the moment is a constant internal struggle. So bear with me over the next couple months as I navigate this transition from late pregnancy to postpartum mama of two. There are so many more summer recipes I hope to share in the next few weeks, but I’ll be taking it one day at a time. Stay tuned! xo Maggie
- 2 heaping cups cubed seedless watermelon
- 1 heaping cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp lime juice, from approx. 1-2 limes
- 2 tsp raw honey
- 1/2 cup coconut water (or regular water)
- Pinch of good quality salt
- Small handful of ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend on high for about 30 seconds until smooth and ice is completely blended.
- Pour into two large glasses, garnish with a sprig of mint and a pinch of salt and enjoy!