- 1 large sweet potato, scrubbed clean and dried
- 1 tbsp avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 4 slices multigrain sandwich bread
- 2 tbsp mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 1 apple, thinly sliced (ideally a crisp and slightly tart variety like pink lady or honeycrisp)
- 2–4 thick slices sharp cheddar cheese
- A handful of greens, such as arugula, spring mix or micro-greens
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Prepare the sweet potatoes: Slice the ends off of the sweet potato. Standing the sweet potato vertically on the cutting board, carefully slice the sweet potato lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick slices. Place slices on baking sheet, drizzle with oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and the allspice and toss until evenly coated. Spread slices evenly apart on baking sheet and roast until nicely browned and tender, about 20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Make honey mustard: mix together mustard and honey until combined. I also sometimes like to add a teaspoon of curry powder here for a spicy twist.
- Assemble the sandwiches: spread two slices of the bread with honey mustard. Spread the other two slices with hummus. Layer on a few sweet potato slices and a few slices of of apple. Top with greens and cheddar. Cut in half, serve with extra honey mustard and enjoy!