For the cake:
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted, or olive oil
For the frosting:
- 1 8 oz package almond/ plant-based cream cheese (I like Kite Hill)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line an 8×8 baking pan with parchment and rub the sides with coconut oil.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand-up mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a regular bowl and hand mixer or whisk), mix together the wet ingredients until well-combined and creamy.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in thirds until fully incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading with a spatula to distribute evenly.
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes, until lightly browned and a toothpick comes out clean. For my convection oven, it was 35 minutes. Place pan on wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make the frosting. Whisk together frosting ingredients until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until cake is completely cooled.
- When ready to serve, spread frosting on top, slice and serve. I like to garnish with toasted pumpkin seeds and a dusting of pumpkin pie spice. Enjoy!