Unfortunately, I went the entire summer without having a proper s’more. I’m not sure how that happened, although if I had to guess, it probably has something to do with two little humans with pre-sunset bedtimes. Now it’s the beginning of fall, and while I wait for the weather to get the memo, I’m looking forward to chilly nights sitting around our soon-to-be-installed fire pit and plenty of s’mores. Until then, these S’mores Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are a delicious stand-in for the real deal — perhaps, dare I say it, better.
I gave my go-to oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe a s’mores makeover, adding crushed graham crackers and marshmallows. I use these graham crackers and these marshmallows, which are free from corn syrup. But my secret weapon for really giving these cookies that campfire flavor is smoked sea salt. Each cookie gets a generous sprinkling on top to lend it that distinctive smoky flavor of a s’more cooked over a fire. You can find smoked salt at Whole Foods, other gourmet stores or from Mountain Rose Herbs, where I purchased mine. If you can’t find it or don’t want to bother, the cookies are just as delicious topped with regular sea salt.
I adore the texture of these cookies, which aim to achieve that elusive goal of soft on the inside and crispy on the outside. The oatmeal adds a pleasant nutty flavor and chewy texture, while the crushed graham crackers add a faint crunch. With the sticky, gooey marshmallows and velvet-y chocolate, each cookie is a party of contrasting textures and flavors.
Join this party! Xo MaggiePrint
- 3/4 cup + 1 tbsp flour (I like to use spelt flour, but whole wheat pastry or all-purpose work, too)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup graham crackers (3 regular size), coarsely crushed
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks (approx. 5 oz dark chocolate bar, chopped)
- 3/4 cup mini marshmallows
- Smoked sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 350. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together both flour, oats, crushed graham crackers, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together butter and sugars until smooth and creamy. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined. Gradually add dry ingredients a little at a time until just combined. Mix in the chocolate chunks and marshmallows.
- Refrigerate dough for 1/2 hour to 24 hours to allow the flavors to develop and the dough to firm up a bit. It’s totally fine to skip this step, but your cookies will spread a bit more.
- Scoop out dough into 1 inch balls and evenly space on the two baking sheets, leaving at least two inches of space among the cookies. Sprinkle smoked sea salt (or regular flaky salt) atop each cookie. Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Allow to cool on the pan for 10 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool fully. The cookies will crisp up a bit as they cool. Enjoy!