This post is sponsored by Vitamix. All opinions are my own, and all products are those I truly use and love.
Mother’s Day is almost upon us, and with it comes warmer weather (finally!!), juicy strawberries and springtime gatherings. I love that Mother’s Day coincides with this time of year. It seems fitting to celebrate mothers during a time of rebirth and blossoming. It also happens to be a very busy time of year. I don’t know about you, but I try as much as possible to avoid all social obligations during the frigid days of February and March. I tend to come out of hibernation socially by April, with renewed energy to host get-togethers and catch up with friends. My calendar is already filling up.
Vitamix reached out recently asking me to create a recipe for their Mother’s Day campaign that leaves “Time for Mom” — less time spent in the kitchen, and more time to spend with mom. I love this theme! As a busy mom to a very active 2-year-old with another baby on the way, time is a scarce commodity in our household. Since becoming a mom, I am constantly seeking out products, shortcuts and recipes that allow me to save time in the kitchen. This recipe is one of my secret-weapon, time-saving recipes that I love having in my back pocket for a last minute dinner party desert or an urgent afternoon chocolate craving (a more likely scenario). Also, moms deserve something decadent and filled with chocolate, don’t you think?
This Dark Chocolate Avocado Mousse has all of the rich texture and flavor of traditional chocolate mousse, but is packed with nourishing fats, naturally sweetened and vegan. Also, it is ready in under 10 minutes. To create the incredibly smooth texture, I used Vitamix’s new Explorian Series E310 blender. It is compact in size, but has all the blending power you would expect from a Vitamix. I simply place ripe avocados with melted chocolate and a few other simple ingredients in my blender, blend for under a minute and, like magic, have a delicious and healthy chocolate mousse at the ready.
I love topping this mousse with fresh berries, tangy coconut yogurt, flaky salt and cacao nibs. If you want a firmer, more mousse-like texture, refrigerate the mousse for an hour or up to one day before serving. It’s a great make-ahead treat to wow dinner party guests, toddlers and chocolate-craving moms alike.
Enjoy! xo Maggie
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 3 oz dark chocolate, chopped and melted (I used 85% cacao)
- 1/4 cup raw cacao powder
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp creamy almond butter
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Garnish: coconut yogurt or whipped cream, fresh berries, cacao nibs and flaky salt
- Melt chocolate, using a small saucepan over low heat or microwaving for 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Place all ingredients in the blender in the order listed. Blend on high until smooth and creamy — about 45 seconds.
- Serve immediately, or chill for an hour for a firmer consistency. Can be prepared up to one day in advance.
- Garnish with coconut yogurt or whipped cream, fresh berries, cacao nibs or chocolate shavings and flaky salt. Enjoy!