- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 2 tbsp capers, drained
- Small handful of thyme sprigs
- 1.5 cups extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 300°
- Place all ingredients in a large casserole dish or baking pan, making sure ingredients are evenly coated and nearly submerged in olive oil.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour, until tomatoes are starting to burst and the garlicky aromas enveloping your kitchen are starting to prove irresistible (this is a very scientific measure of doneness).
- Allow to cool a bit, discard the thyme stems (leaving the leaves behind) and transfer to a glass container. Or use immediately — it is divine served warm over toast and cheese.
The confit will store well in the fridge for a week or two. You may have to reheat slightly if the oil solidifies.