- 1.5 cups apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1.5 cups water
- 4 tbsp raw unrefined sugar or honey
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Optional aromatics: bay leaf, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, cardamom pods, cloves
- 1 bunch ramps, cleaned and ends and leaves trimmed (save those leaves for another use, like pesto!) — about 3/4 cup
- 1 bunch radishes, cleaned and thinly sliced — about 1 1/4 cups
- 3 stalks rhubarb, trimmed and sliced into 1/4 inch pieces — about 2 cups
Aromatics: bay leaf, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, peppercorns, cardamom pods, cloves, red pepper flakes
- In a small saucepan, combine vinegar, water, sugar and salt. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring to dissolve sugar or honey. Remove from heat.
- Pack vegetables into pint-size jars (you may need a larger jar for the rhubarb), along with any aromatics you desire. Pour pickling solution over the vegetables to cover.
- Allow jars to cool — at least 15 minutes. Serve right away or seal jars and store in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- If you don’t want to pickle three different vegetables, feel free to cut the pickling solution by half.
- For aromatics, you can get creative! I used cardamom pods for the rhubarb, mustard seeds for the radishes and bay leaves and fennel seeds for the ramps.