For the salad:
- 4 oz bibb lettuce (approx. 1 head)
- 1 ripe, but still firm pear, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 oz. blue cheese, such as stilton or roquefort , crumbled
- 1/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/2 cup sweet + salty nuts, roughly chopped (see note)
For the vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp finely minced or grated shallot (about 1/2 small shallot, peeled)
- Make the vinaigrette: Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, maple syrup, mustard, salt and pepper until emulsified and creamy. Stir in minced shallot. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly. Tip: for a really creamy dressing, I like to use an immersion blender.
- Assemble the salad: Toss butter lettuce with just enough vinaigrette to very lightly coat the greens. Transfer to a large, shallow serving bowl and top with pear slices (I like to arrange little clusters of pear slices atop the greens), crumbled blue cheese, pomegranate seeds and nuts. Lightly drizzle with a little more vinaigrette (you will have extra), sprinkle with flaky salt and freshly ground pepper. Enjoy!
Instead of the sweet + salty nuts, feel free to use simply toasted pecans and/or walnuts if you are pressed for time. But please do toast them!