For the salad:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 1 small fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced or shaved on a mandolin
- 1 cara cara orange (or naval), segmented
- 1 blood orange, segmented
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- 4 heaping cups lettuce (I like arugula here)
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
For the dressing:
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 2 tbsp orange juice (from approx. half an orange)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp avocado or extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp honey
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2-3 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place diced sweet potato on a large sheet pan. Drizzle with avocado or extra virgin olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Spread out in an even layer. Roast for approximately 20 minutes until tender and starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the dressing. Whisk together dressing ingredients until smooth and creamy, adding more water if necessary to reach a drizzle-able consistency. Taste for seasoning and adjust accordingly.
- Remove sweet potato from oven and allow to cool slightly. Prep the remaining ingredients — shave/slice the fennel, segment the oranges and dice the avocado.
- Assemble the salad. Toss together lettuce, sweet potatoes, citrus, fennel and avocado with dressing. You may have leftover dressing — all the better. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and enjoy!
The amount of water necessary to thin out the dressing will vary depending on the consistency of your tahini. Start with 1-2 tablespoons and add more as needed.
I adore this tahini — it is perfectly runny.