- 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 inch piece of turmeric, peeled and thinly sliced
- Zest and juice of 1 organic lemon
- 3 cups water
- 2–3 tsp raw honey
- Optional: freshly ground black pepper; digestive bitters
- Place ginger, turmeric, lemon zest and juice and water in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium/ medium-low heat. Simmer for about a minute, then turn off heat. Stir in raw honey and let mixture steep for another 5 minutes.
- Strain into a glass container and store in the refrigerator.
- Drink first thing in the morning to jumpstart digestion. I like to warm slightly in a small saucepan or by adding a little hot water. Enjoy!
The addition of freshly ground pepper aids in the bioavailabity of the curcumin compounds from the turmeric. I couldn’t tolerate the pepper during my first trimester, but it is definitely worth adding if it agrees with you.