- 1 1/2 lb cucumbers, preferably Kirby (about 6 small Kirbys)
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (I used raw cane sugar)
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp celery seeds
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- Slice cucumbers and onions 1/4” thick using a mandolin or sharp knife. Place in a large bowl and toss with the salt. Refrigerate for 1 hour, letting the salt draw the moisture out of the cucumbers. This step is optional, but highly recommended because it makes for the crunchiest pickles! Transfer to strainer and rinse well under cold water.
- Meanwhile, prepare the brine. Place remaining ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and allow the brine to cool while the cucumbers rest in the fridge.
- Once the cucumbers and onions are rinsed and drained, transfer to a large glass jar or two. Pour the brine over the cucumber mixture, pressing down to completely submerge the pickles. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. The pickles will keep in the fridge for 3 weeks. Enjoy!