For the oatmeal:
- 2 cups oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2 eggs, preferably organic/pasture-raised
- 2 1/4 cups milk of choice (I used coconut almond milk)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or ghee, melted
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 2 large pink lady apples (or other tart-sweet baking apple), grated, plus 1 more apple to slice for topping
Crunchy nut topping
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Small pinch sea salt and cinnamon
Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- Juice of half lemon
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of vanilla bean powder (or splash of vanilla extract)
- Preheat oven to 350° and rub the inside of a 9×13 inch baking dish with coconut oil or ghee.
- In a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, maple syrup and oil until well-combined. Stir in orange zest and grated apple.
- Pour milk and apple mixture over the oat mixture and stir to combine. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Thinly slice remaining apple and arrange on top any way you prefer.
- In a small bowl, mixture together nuts, seeds, oats, coconut sugar and coconut oil until well combined, Scatter evenly over oats.
- Baked for approximately 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, make the caramel sauce. In a small saucepan set over medium-low heat, whisk together caramel ingredients until melted together and smooth. This will only take a few minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Drizzle caramel over oatmeal, slice into six squares and serve. Enjoy!