Yes, it’s almost May, and I’m still sharing soup! I’m a big soup person — truthfully, I could have it every day, no matter what the weather is. BUT this carrot soup has zippy, bright flavor that is totally spring-appropriate. This soup is one of my go-to recipes for when I want something quick, nourishing and easy on the digestive system. I always have carrots, apples and onions on hand and my blender at the ready, so this soup requires minimal effort for maximum reward.
Do you make sheet-pan soups at home? I love them! I simply toss the ingredients with oil, salt and pepper atop a sheet pan, roast for about 25 minutes (no stirring or fussing required), and transfer to a blender with liquid and a couple additional flavorings. That’s it! Minimal dishes and deep flavor without the simmering time. I particularly love the flavor of this soup. Carrot and ginger is a pretty typical combination, but I like adding apple to brighten the flavor a bit and miso to add earthiness.
This soup makes a great lunch alongside avocado toast or a hearty salad. It’s also a real baby and toddler pleaser. This soup has been on regular rotation since Rose started solids. If you are averse to hot soup during the warmer months, I definitely enjoy eating this soup chilled or at room temperature.
Enjoy! xo Maggie
Sheet-pan Carrot, Apple + Ginger Soup
Yield 4 servings
- 4 carrots, scrubbed and chopped into 1/2” pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 apple (I like pink lady here), chopped into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive or avocado oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 to 2 inch piece of ginger (depending on desired spiciness), peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp white miso paste
- 4 cups vegetable or organic chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place chopped carrots, apple and onion atop a large sheet pan. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Roast for approximately 20-25 minutes, until carrots are tender and starting to brown.
- Transfer carrots, apple and onion to a blender. Add minced ginger, miso and broth. Blend on high for about 1 minute until smooth and creamy. Taste for seasoning and adjust if necessary. Depending on the size of your blender, you may need to work in batches. To avoid a blender explosion, be sure you vent to allow the steam to escape as you blend. I like to vent and drape a dishtowel over the lid as I blend.
- Divide among bowls, garnish with fresh herbs, extra virgin olive oil and toasted sesame seeds. Enjoy!
I use a high-powered blender that friction heats the soup as it blends, but if you use a regular blender, either heat the broth before adding to the blender or reheat the soup before serving if you desire a hot soup!